Hello my loves 🙂 Hope you’ve all had a lovely week.
I’m back with another baking post and this week it’s an Apple Crumble Slice. Super sweet, super delicious and not overly healthy 😉
Serves: about 36
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Difficulty: Easy (just takes a little more time and patience)
2 1/4 cups plain flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon mixed spice
180g butter, softened
2 tablespoons chilled water
4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup shredded/desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a slice tin with baking paper.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, mixed spice and butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add 2 tablespoons chilled water. Stir until mixture just comes together, adding more water if required (I found it helped to combine it with my clean hands).
- Wrap 3/4 cup dough in greaseproof/baking paper and refrigerate until firm. Press remaining dough into prepared tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light golden. Allow to cool completely in pan.
- Meanwhile, place apples, caster sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool completely. Optionally, you could also stir in sultanas for added flavour.
- Spoon apple mixture over pastry base. Coarsely grate chilled dough into a bowl. Add oats and coconut and a small amount of cinnamon. Stir to combine. Sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool completely in pan. Serve and enjoy 🙂
See you all on Thursday!