Hi lovelies! So I originally wasn’t going to post this recipe as it was a little bit of a disaster haha. However, I figured it may be useful for you guys if you want to recreate these, so you can learn from my mistakes 🙂 It’s also been quite a while since my last recipe post, so I hope you enjoy! Also, I’m sorry about the bad photo. I think by the time I’d finished these cupcakes, I was a bit sick of them haha and not feeling all that creative.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Difficulty: A little tricky
190g plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
115g unsalted butter, softened
100g caster sugar
100g light brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
Popcorn (preferably plain, but I used butter and it worked fine)
200g dark brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g milk cooking chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180° and line a muffin tin with cases (I think red and white paper cases look super cute!)
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Put the butter, caster sugar and brown sugar into a separate bowl and beat until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, then add the eggs in one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Spoon the batter into the cases and place a piece of popcorn in the centre, ensuring to push it down so it doesn’t rise too much when it bakes. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden and risen. Leave to cool.
- To make the caramel, melt half of the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add half of the brown sugar, half of the cream and half of the vanilla then bring to the boil and beat for two minutes. Work quickly to spoon the caramel over each of the cupcakes. It is super important to not go over two minutes and to work super quickly. I clearly burnt my caramel, which meant it hardened and was honestly pointless because the popcorn didn’t stick.
- Repeat with the second half to create the second batch of caramel. Pour in the popcorn (the amount depends on how much popcorn you want) and stir.
- Top each cupcake with a spoonful of caramel popcorn.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water then drizzle over the cupcakes using a fork. Enjoy 🙂