Hi again 🙂 I recently made these yummy little sponges for a friend’s birthday high tea and they were delicious!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Oven temperature: 190°C
175g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
175g self-raising flour
For the icing:
1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C(170°C fan)/375°F
2. Cream the butter and caster sugar together until the mixture is pale and light. Gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing well between each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
3. Sift the flour into the bowl and fold in until the mixture is smooth.
4. Divide the mixture between the mini sandwich tin cups and level with a teaspoon. (Alternatively if you don’t own a mini sandwich tin, you can bake them in paper cases, peel off the cases once cooled and then cut in half 🙂 )
5. Bake for about 15 minutes until golden-brown and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Leave the cakes to cool in the tin for two minutes and then ease onto a wire cooling rack and leave to cool completely. Once cooled, cut each of the cakes in half horizontally with a bread knife.
7. To decorate, spoon whipped cream and strawberry jam onto the bottom half of the cake. Then place the top half on top to “sandwich” the jam and cream. Spoon some of the icing on top and placed a strawberry on top. Be careful that the strawberry doesn’t slide, it happened to me a few times haha! 🙂
Have a sweet day 🙂