I am honestly so so so excited to share my very first cupcake post! Cupcakes are literally my life and I love them, I don’t know why I haven’t done a post about them sooner 🙂
I created these rainbow cupcakes for a rainbow-themed fundraiser and they were quite popular! I think they’re adorable and a lot easier than I initially expected. If you try them out, let me know!
I think you could change this recipe quite easily to use other colours for other themes and I know I’ll be using this recipe again 🙂 These cupcakes are perfectly sweet and moist, but not too dense and I think I piped the perfect amount of icing. I’ve learnt that cupcakes just aren’t as enjoyable if you’ve got to get through a mountain of icing haha! Enjoy 🙂
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Oven temp: 200°C
1/2 cup caster sugar
125g unsalted butter
1 cup self-raising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 tablespoons milk
For the icing:
125g butter, softened
1 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a 12 hole cupcake tray with 8 cases.
- Cream the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time adding a little flour in each time until the ingredients are mixed.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix. Then add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time mixing after each addition.
- Divide the mixture into 4 bowls:
In Bowl 1 – Add red colouring
In Bowl 2 – Add yellow colouring
In Bowl 3 – Add green colouring
In Bowl 4 – Add blue colouring
Mix colouring into each mixture after adding.
- Divide the blue mixture between the 8 cases. Repeat with the other mixtures in this order: Green, Yellow, Red. I found it useful to slightly smooth out the mixture in the cases with a back of a teaspoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 15 minutes.
- To make icing, beat butter with an electric mixer until pale. Gradually add icing sugar mixture and milk, beating constantly until combined.
- To decorate, I simply piped a small amount of icing onto the top and garnished with rainbow sprinkles. I think slightly softer, pastel rainbow sprinkles look better than bright colours, simply because the actual cupcakes aren’t overly bright.
Have a sweet day 🙂